Sunday, March 1, 2009

2009 Topps Heritage -- I'm disappointed...

Well, I went ahead and opened, sorted, and examined every card out of 12 boxes and I have to say I'm disappointed in this year's Topps Heritage. I love the design of the base cards. That is about the only thing I like though. The SP's (426-500) are easy to spot as the card backs are darker than the base cards from 1-425. The inserts are the same as last year -- Then & Now (10 cards), Flashbacks (10 cards), News Flashbacks (10 cards), and New Age Performers (15 cards). I was just told that a "super short print" has just been discovered. Here it is:



Out of 12 boxes I am still several SP's short of a set. I received one black refractor of Carlos Zambrano and one autograph of Art Ceccarelli. Other than a handful of Clubhouse Collection no names, I did not receive anything of great value. The autograph selection this year is VERY weak! Whatever happened to the likes of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron? This year I do not know of any hall of famers that are in the autograph set. It will be interesting to see what the odds are in retail packs but mark my words -- the price of Heritage hobby cases will definitely drop from the current $900 level in the coming weeks. Last year's 2008 Heritage High Numbers is such a better value and can be picked up for hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Here are a few pics of my pulls -- nothing exciting yet but maybe once I hit the Targets and Wal-Mart stores, my opinion of this year's Heritage will change.














2 comments:

Bay Rat North West said...

If you need help burning that Cubs card let me know.

Mays and Hank are still under exclusive contract for signatures to Donruss or Fleer along with Kofax and 2 others I can't think of now. Even though Donruss lost their license the guys are under contract.
12 boxes and no set? That's a bit much.

Craig in Texas said...

I agree. Even though Mays and Aaron aren't able to sign because of their exclusive contracts I owuld have thought Topps would have been able to get at least a couple of bigger names to help sell the set!