Thursday, September 24, 2009

Product review: 2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions

As most of you know I am a big fan of Topps. Occasionally, something from Upper Deck will catch my attention. Yesterday, it was Goodwin Champions. A friend of mine opened a case and after he told me what he got in it, I was determined to go ahead and get a box!

Goodwin Champions reminds me a lot of Allen & Ginter -- nice looking base cards plus you will get one mini per pack. There is also the non-baseball element that seems to be the delight of a few and the disgust of many. You are "guaranteed" to get three hits per box which usually consists of two game used jerseys and an autograph. As far as case hits go, I was told you could get an original Goodwin Champions card from the 1800's, an Entomology card, or a printing plate. Also randomly inserted are Magician mini cards hand numbered to 8! My friend got two of these rare Magician cards in his case. If it were me, I would have had two common cards but since it was my friend, he got some guys named Derek Jeter and Lebron James!

As far as the hits in my box, I received two game jersey cards: Justin Verlander and Steve Carlton. My autograph was a redemption for an autographed card of Felix Hernandez. I really enjoyed opening this box.

Overall I rate this product a 7.5 on a 10 scale. I would have rated this higher but a few of my cards had centering issues.

I'll try to get some pictures later....

For a checklist of these cards, you should look here:

2009 Goodwin Champions Checklist


Stay tuned for more!

Craig in Texas

No comments: